Alford Corn Exchange Community Group Manager Job Description
Post Title: Part-time Manager
If you are looking for a rewarding role within the community then this role could be for you.
Alford Corn Exchange offers a vast array of events as well as a venue for parties, weddings and other private functions.
We are looking for an energetic and enthusiastic person to manage the day to day running of the Corn Exchange.
You will be required to work on your own initiative and also as part of a team, with the ability to communicate with people at all levels.
Salary: will be dependent on experience and will be discussed with candidates invited to attend interview.
Hours: Variable (according to the functions being held at the Corn Exchange) but on average 20-35 hours per month.
Send CV and covering letter to:
firstname.lastname@example.org or via post to
Mr H Dewick-Eisele, Alford Corn Exchange, Market Place, Alford, Lincs. LN13 9EB.
The closing date for applications is Friday, 18th October 2019.
Working Pattern: As required and directed by the Trustees of the Alford Corn Exchange Community Group
(“the Trustees”). The post requires somebody who is self-motivated, flexible and is available to work early in
the day and late in the evening.
Location: Alford Corn Exchange, Market Place, Alford
Responsible to: The Trustees
Post Objective: To provide efficient and effective managerial support to the Corn Exchange including ensuring
the security and general appearance of the building in accordance with the required standards. To take responsibility
for functions being held and liaise with hirers as required to ensure the smooth running of the Corn Exchange.
Working closely with the Trustees and other staff and local statutory, voluntary and commercial sector organisations, the Manager will work to ensure the Corn Exchange is a vibrant, well managed facility that operates within a sustainable framework for the benefit of local residents and organisations.
Other Considerations: The Manager will be expected to observe safe working practices in carrying out the required duties and ensure that
instructions specified by technical consultants, contractors and manufactures are strictly adhered to.
- To manage the operation of The Corn Exchange and its staff in accordance with the parameters of and under the direction set by the Trustees, following guidelines for any appointment of staff or volunteers.
- To develop and implement procedures for the effective management of The Corn Exchange staff and volunteers.
- To promote the use of The Corn Exchange by, amongst other things, liaising with local media and ensuring that the Corn Exchange website, Facebook pages and TV screen are up to date by liaising with the relevant Trustee.
- To ensure that The Corn Exchange has an up to date ‘Hirer Pack’ and clear procedures are in place for using/hiring The Corn Exchange.
- Provide excellent customer service to hirers and resolve any problems in an effective and diplomatic manner.
- To take a key role and assist the Trustees with external funding opportunities.
- be responsible for maintaining the security of the premises and its contents in accordance with the Corn Exchange’s current requirements. Opening and locking up of the Corn Exchange when required.
- To ensure that the Corn Exchange is kept clean and tidy and to ensure that the appointed cleaner carries out all of their duties in a timely manner. To liaise with the cleaner as necessary and co-ordinate arrangements if additional cleaning is required (particularly when the premises is hosting lots of functions in quick succession).
- To ensure that all equipment is working efficiently and effectively, make adjustments as necessary, and reporting any defects and malfunctions to the Trustees.
- To be responsible for ensuring clear and safe pedestrian access to the Corn Exchange particularly in adverse weather conditions (e.g. clearing snow, gritting etc).
- To organise bar staff as required to ensure that all functions held at The Corn Exchange requiring a Bar are adequately staffed
- To liaise with the relevant Trustee when the Bar facility is required, so that we have adequate stock.
- Organising floats for functions and ensuring that all monies received are banked in a timely manner in accordance with The Corn Exchange’s procedures/policy.
- To occasionally undertake/organise general handyperson duties as directed by the Trustees.
- To monitor stock levels of consumable items such as toiletries, lights, bulbs/tubes and arrange to replenish supplies in accordance with current procedures.
- To maintain appropriate records including intruder alarm logbook, repair orders, heating system records book and carry out meter readings for the Corn Exchange.
- To report emergencies in the case of faults with gas, electric and water supply to the Trustees and report minor faults to the appropriate person.
- To attend to, where necessary, personnel visiting the site such as contractors.
- To comply with the requirements of Health and Safety, other relevant legislation and Corn Exchange procedures and carry out fire alarm tests and assist with evacuation procedures as deemed necessary by the Trustees.
- To liaise and work closely with the Corn Exchange’s administrative assistant to ensure the smooth day to day running of the Corn Exchange as a community facility.
- To attend meetings of the Trustees as required (usually held monthly) to keep the Trustees abreast of developments and to receive feedback from the Trustees to ensure the smooth day to day running of the Corn Exchange.
- To undertake such additional duties as necessary in relation to the work of The Corn Exchange.
The Manager will have a strong commitment to promoting The Corn Exchange. The Manager will need to be flexible, self-reliant, energetic and able to work on their own initiative and prioritise the requirements/duties of the post.
Skills and Abilities
- Previous managerial experience would be an advantage.
- A professional attitude and approach to the management of The Corn Exchange.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Confident, self-motivated, innovative and able to work on own initiative.
- To develop and support members of staff, users of The Corn Exchange and the Trustees.
- Able to work collaboratively.
- Able to work flexible hours as and when required.